Tuesday, June 15, 2010

My very first post, and the history of clicker training.

Well, this is my very first blog post, ever. I was a little slow getting on the band wagon. I suppose I needed to wait until there was something I felt strongly enough about to blog, and clicker training is it! I discovered clicker training while working at the Petland in my hometown. I originally started using it to train my birds, but have since started using it with my dog, and my cat (less so with my cat...he's just so cute, that I don't want to interrupt the cuteness with training sessions!).

The purpose of this blog is to bring more information on clicker training, and other positive reinforcement techniques, to the internet. It is my personal opinion that EVERYONE can train their dog...they just need some information and a little confidence. Not everyone needs to be the dog whisperer or a trainer with decades of experience - YOU can give your dog a more fulfilling life with clicker training and end up with a very well behaved dog that listens to you and stays out of trouble.

The History of Clicker Training:

Clicker training was first used to train pigeons, believe it or not. It began with Marian and Keller Breland and their flying pigeon show - the first in the world to use free ranging birds in their show. After Keller's death, Marian married a dolphin scientist in the US Navy. Together they trained dolphins and other species of birds to locate swimmers and take photos through windows.

Moving from there, clicker training has been widely used and is most recognizable as the method used to teach dolphins, whales and seals at SeaWorld. It took a very long time for the public to recognize the potential for this method in the home with dogs and cats.

The Advantages of Clicker Training:

Overall, clicker training is a very precise and effective method of training dogs. The clicker marks the exact moment your dog is doing something you want. Clicker training is used to shape, lure or capture behaviors. In a later post, I'll give you a complete glossary of terms commonly used in clicker training that will explain these three things.

The best thing about clicker training is that it creates a dog that THINKS! Once your dog understands the process, you'll find him trying different things to get you to click. His thought process will be something like this:

"Is it sit? No...down? No...beg? Nope...lets try shake...not that either. Maybe I need to roll over? YES!!! TREATS!!!!! LET'S DO IT AGAIN!!!!"

Your dog will become so inventive and creative that you'll have to laugh at the crazy things he thinks you want him to do.

So your first step to begin clicker training? Get a clicker. Go to a petstore - most of them have cheap little clicker boxes and that's all you really need. Next step is to get some high value reinforcers, also known as treats. Most of the time a store bought treat will not be enough, especially when you start training more difficult behaviors. I prefer using tiny pieces of hot dog, cheese, and chicken. If I want to make it an even more awesome reinforcer, I zap it in the microwave to warm it up and it becomes SOLID GOLD! I can get a dog to do anything for a piece of warmed up hot dog or chicken. We'll talk more about reinforcers later, too.

Up next tomorrow....'Introducing your dog (and you) to clicker training. Your first lesson.'

No comments:

Post a Comment